Monday, March 31, 2014

Storms

March 10, 2014


Mom!!!

Hey, I want you not to worry about me getting attacked by a dog!! I am fine. I thought it was hilarious. What we do here is, bend down to pretend to pick up a rock and they usually get scared and run away. Sometimes we do actually have to throw the rock, though. It is just fun.

This was a pretty good week, I guess. We haven’t seen much progress in the sector, actually. We teach a lot of people that don’t really have a lot of interest in what we do, but they like talking to us because we are funny gringos that are really friendly. Haha. Can you imagine me doing that mom? Sometimes it still boggles my mind that I go and knock somebodies door and just start talking with them and we become friends really quickly and they invite us over to watch soccer. (But we don’t go to do that, because it is against the rules.) But my personality has definitely changed from being a very shy person... to being quite social and good at talking to people. I guess it was like you always said, practice makes perfect... and I practice all day every single day. At first I really hated talking to other people, actually. I hated knocking doors. But now I think it is fun.

The weather here has been absolutely crazy the last few days. The wind is unreal!!!! Holy cow, it could easily blow a person over!!  And mix that with rain! It is definitely an adventure here in Porvenir with the weather. It actually is a little challenging to do street contacts when there is such strong wind. But it is fun. Amazing the nature here.

I have been thinking a lot about "storms" lately. Not just the strong wind here, but also the storms of life that we have to face. There are a lot of difficulties in life. Here in Porvenir, too. But we have to learn to roll with it. Keep going. Keep walking, keep smiling, even though we are soaked and the wind is throwing the rain so hard in our face. We can’t give up, because we will lose blessings as missionaries. In life we can’t give up during the storms either, because we also will lose blessings. We just need to keep moving forward and look for the positive. Look for the beauty in the things that are happening. "Count your many blessings, name them one by one." I am reminded many times of the quote that you wanted engraved on the back of your iPod that said, "No Rain, No Rainbows". The hard times in life are all part of Gods plan. They are there for a number of reasons. Number one, so that we can learn to rely on Him. Two, so we can progress... there must be an opposition in all things in order to see strengthening and progression. And Three: so that we can learn to appreciate the good times and really be grateful for all that we have been blessed with.

Well, that is what I felt like writing today. I hope it makes sense. I will write more about investigators another day. But I hope you are okay. I hope you can find a new house to live in and that you will be happy. I wish I could be there to help you out with the hard things that are happening. Just know you are in my prayers.

Much love,

Elder Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment